Thursday, February 4, 2010

Book Club - Guest Review of Confessions of a Shopaholic



For this months Book Club the lovely Leia of HiFashion reviewed the Confessions of a Shopaholic Book series:


Book: Confessions of a Shopaholic
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Genre: Chick-lit

Overall review: 3/5 stars



Confessions of a Shopaholic is witty, fun, and impossible to put down! It is best suited to women of all ages - preferably those who love to shop. It may teach you a thing or two about getting into debt!

But as far as chick-lit goes, I wouldn't say this was a favorite. I actually prefer Sophie Kinsella's other books to the Shopaholic series. There were a few "tiny niggles" (as Kinsella would say): I wish that Rebecca Bloomwood's appearance was actually described. I had no idea what she looked like - all I knew was that she had a penchant for designer clothing! It would have been much more fun if I could picture her - after all, her best friend and boyfriend were well-portrayed. 

There were also a few small quirks in her writing style that bothered me (although you probably think I'm being over-analytical!) - she used the word "brightly" so many times that it started to irritate me, and Rebecca Bloomwood seemed more of an alcoholic than shopaholic! It seemed that alcohol was her cure for all of life's dramas, because some kind of drink presented itself every few pages. I'm not sure I'm happy with the kind of message this sends, especially to young readers!

Perhaps I made a mistake watching the movie before reading the book, but I do think that for something that has so much to do with aesthetics, it is much more fun to be able to actually visualise the clothes and shoes and bags. Personally, I much preferred the movie, but if you're on vacation or need something light to read, then pick up Confessions of a Shopaholic!

xx Leia

Have you read the series? What where your thoughts? Do you want to review a book for next months book club? Send it in!

*eLLa*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...