Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Everyday Makeup - basics

Author: Leia
Blog: Hifashion
Date: 14 February

I'm definitely not a make-up expert, but for me, looking natural is most important. I thought I would share some of my tips and tricks to achieve an everyday, natural look.


1.) Prep the skin

My skin is naturally very dry, so moisturizing it is always my first step. I read once that everything you put on your skin is absorbed by it, and the chemicals in store-bought creams can end up in your blood stream. I don't know if this is true or not, but I do try to use natural products to moisturize my skin. At night, I slather my face with natural shea butter, and in the morning, I apply a thin layer of almond oil and massage it in. Both are very affordable, last a long time, and can also be used on dry hair.



2.) Dark circles

The skin under my eyes is naturally slightly darker than the rest of my skin. I think many people are prone to dark under eye circles, especially those with South Asian skin tones. I find that using concealer can make you suddenly look awake; my favourite is Benefit's Boi-ing which I use from my Realness of Concealness kit.
Some natural remedies if you suffer from dark circles:


  • Use cold slices of cucumer or used teabags on your eyes for a few minutes.
  • Gently tap almond oil under your eyes before bed at night.
  • Get plenty of sleep!
  • Drink plenty of water.
  • Make sure you eat plenty of green

3.) Foundation

I don't find that foundation is a necessity for everyday. It is great for making skin tones appear even, or covering up blemishes. However, I find that it can sometimes look cakey or unnatural. Some ways to combat this is to mix your foundation with some moisturizer before applying it, making it thinner and letting your natural radiance shine through as well.
I do really like to use a tinted moisturizer, though. I have heard that in the winter, foundation can act as a barrier for your skin against the cold and the wind - I'm hoping this is true for tinted moisturizer as well! My favorite is Benefit's YouRebel.

A great, natural-looking foundation is the one made by BareMinerals. It's supposed to be really healthy for your skin as well. I bought mine in a kit from Selfridges; I think it was around £50 in total, but it came with two colors of foundation (skin tone can vary during the course of the year), a blush/contour color called Warmth (one of my favorite colors ever! It's so natural), a finishing powder, and three brushes. Lots of make-up companies have started to sell mineral make-up, so it's definitely worth trying out. What I love about mineral make-up is that you can apply as little or as much as you like, depending on the coverage you need.
But, for me, it is not something I use every day - just because of the hassle of it! My top priority is quick and easy in the mornings.



4.) Blush

Too many people forget to use blush! I think it's really important, though, because it really gives your skin a healthy glow. My two favorites are the Warmth by BareMinerals, as mentioned above, and Benefit's Benetint.

5.) Eyes

I think we can all agree that eye make-up is the most important! I know that for girls with fairer skin and lighter hair, mascara is an everyday essential. For me, that essential is eyeliner/kajal. I only wear mascara a couple of times a week, and on special occasions (current favorites are DiorShow and MaxFactor Masterpiece). Usually, I will just draw a thin line of pencil eyeliner on top, underneath, and inside the eye, and I am ready to go. My favorite eyeliners are Benefit's BadGal liner and Stila's Kajal eye liner.
As for eye shadow (when I have time to worry about it!) I recently bought the Benefit Big Beautiful Eyes kit (I'm sorry if I sound like a Benefit ad, I just really like their products!). It has got lovely, natural colors, and the darker ones can be used for a dressier look. If you are trying to look as natural as possible, it's important to choose eyeshadows that are matte, rather than sparkly or shimmery (the latter can be saved for nights out!)

6.) Lips

Much as I love red lipstick, it is a bit dramatic for every day! I have very dry lips (I swear by Carmex) so I usually start with some lip stain - Stila's Cherry Crush or Benetint - and put some lip balm on top. You can also line your lips with a natural/nude shade and top with gloss, like the ever-popular Lancome Juicy Tube.
Those are my tips for achieving a simple, natural look! My morning routine usually consists of concealer, kajal, and blush, but when I have more time, I try to incorporate some of the other things mentioned here. What are your everyday make-up essentials? Post about them in the comments below!

xx Leia

*eLLa*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...