Wednesday, December 16, 2009

How To Wear Hats

Author: Harriet

Blog: Where is hariette?

Date: 15 April




Since my trip to the Stephen Jones Hat exhibition last week I've been thinking a lot about hats. Not so very long ago it was considered quite scandalous to be seen out without a hat, and while I'm (obviously) all for the freedom to wear whatever you want to wear, I'm also a bit sad because it feels like now it's very difficult to wear hats, if your not at Ascot or a wedding that is.


I think the problem I have with hats is twofold. On the one hand, hats are a bit annoying really. Sure the right hat perched jauntily atop your head looks awesome, but with my luck it always starts to rain, or it's so windy I spend most of the day chasing my hat, and as soon as I sit down in my lecture theatre there's nowhere to put it and the person sitting directly behind me gets cross.







The other problem I have is that hats make a pretty big statement, and sometimes that can be a bit scary. While most of the time I don't really care what other people think of my clothes as long as I feel fabulous, everyone can get self conscious from time to time, and hats have quite a habit of shouting 'look at me! I put this thing on my head on purpose!' which if you're not quite sure can be quite off putting. However! I am never defeated when it comes to fashion, so here are my tips on how to wear hats without a. getting very annoyed with it or b. feeling a bit stupid.


.Start small. I don't mean tiny hats (although they're awesome) but if you're unsure about the whole hat thing go for a simple beret or bakerboy - they're available everywhere in loads of cute styles, and can easily be squashed away in your bag if necessary. And looking a bit French can never be a bad thing!







.For cuteness and practicality in equal measure go for a headband with a ridiculously huge bow, or massive flowers. Who says fascinators should only be relegated to special occasions?


.If you have problems keeping your hat on your head use hairclips to attach it to your head under your hair or behind your ears so it's not too obvious. Alternatively go for a hat with an elasticated headband.

.Trilbys and fedoras are two more favourites that are appropriate whatever the weather, and add a much needed injection of Ratpack/indie boyband cool among all the girly options. Go for classic black or a light straw version.


.The bowler hat, introduced to us again by Ms Sienna Miller is another way to make your outfit a bit more modern.







.In summer a big floppy sunhat is totally acceptable in the city as well as on the beach. Just watch out for high winds taking it away! If you're not the big hat type go for a straw boater – but remember it isn't so great in the rain!


.In winter how about a felt cloche? They're very chic in an awesome 20s sort of way, the only downside is if you don't want to crush it then you need to have somewhere to put your hat safely if you want to take it off indoors.







.When not on your head display your hats proudly as works of art on a shelf or hatstand, or at least keep them safe in gorgeous hatboxes!


.Bright colourful headscarves totally count.


.Find a hat that flatters your face shape. You opinion counts the most. 


Any more advice my fellow hat fans?


*eLLa*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...